Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Detour

Have you ever spotted one of these signs when you have had somewhere important to be or in a hurry and all ready running late?

My response is normally one of these, "ugh! Not today! Now what? Gr! Are you serious? Ah man!"

The other day, I was on my way to work and apparently I missed the first detour sign, and when I saw the sign, "road closed in one mile" I was like "Great, how am I gonna get there, I don't know another road." So, I followed a guy hoping he was doing the same thing and that he would lead me to a road that I eventually knew so that I could get to work. After being nervous for a little bit traveling some country roads I had never been on, the truck led me to a road I needed. "Whew!" I was late...of course, but I found my way.

So that day I was asking myself how I was going to get home because, I wasn't paying attention to how I got there, I was just praying I would find a street name I recognized. I got in my car to leave, hoping that if I changed a setting on my gps it would give me a different way home. Then it hit me. I remembered a street I used to take, when my employers lived in their previous house, that would also take me to the main road that I needed. I hoped gps could help me find that road from their current house, and it was successful, although, I did hear "route to recalculation a few times."

Once I remembered that way home, I was very happy because I remembered that it was the most gorgeous route to take during the fall. Particularly, there is this one spot, where the trees are cascaded over and it is like driving through a little tunnel. I was hoping it would be as pretty as I had remembered it.

Although, this picture doesn't capture the true beauty, as I drove the beauty literally took my breath away.

Sometimes, life throws us a "detour" and our initial reaction is often to complain: "Oh, not me Lord!" "But everything was going so good!" Or "Not now, I am all ready juggling so much I can't handle one more problem."

A detour may often seem like an irritating thing, taking us from the path that we are on or the path that we know and are comfortable with. However, this week I found that my detour was worth it because I saw something beautiful along the way.

So, I encourage you, the next time you are faced with a detour in "life" and are forced to take the longer, windier route, that you would find something beautiful in that journey that literally takes your breath away. And, may you also remember that had it not been for the "detour" you would have completely missed out on it.

3 comments:

Mary said...

See, for me, it wouldn't have mattered if I "paid attention" to the roads as I was getting there. Going back, even if it's the way I came, is like a whole new road to me. It all looks completely different from the other direction, and I am easily confused.

I love that picture, though. I'll bet that is a pretty drive.

I had fun with you yesterday, too. Thanx for hanging out with us!

Christi said...

Did you take a picture while you were driving??? LOL. It is a pretty view for sure!!

Thanks for the nice reminder about life's detours!!

Jeremy and Shelly said...

Thanks for sharing Janelle. We've all experienced detours in life and probably needed the reminder. On a lighter note, wasn't it nice of God to send you on a detour that was so pretty? Sometimes I drive by the bay here and just thank Him for the beauty. I'm also jealous that you get beautiful fall leaves.
Love ya!