Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Back to the world of scrapbooking

These past few months my scrapbook hobby has been neglected but not forgotten. I was super excited a few weeks after we moved in when Brian bought wood for this shelf and cut it for me so that I would have a place to reach my scrapbooks with ease and with out them being damaged. Previously, at the apartment they were all stored on top of each other in the spare bedroom top closet shelf so they were hard to get out. If I wanted one on the bottom then I would have to pull them all out because they are so heavy! I am so excited about this new way because I can just pull the one out of the shelf that I want. The day he built it I started looking through old albums and wishing I had "block" of several hours together to scrap.
Today I finally pulled out my supplies and spent a couple hours starting "Our First Home" album. As you can imagine I am very behind in scrapping because other than the house pages I have done, I have nothing else scrapped from 2009! Yikes.

I know not all of my readers are into scrapbooking, but those of you who aren't really should be! (possibly a little biased opinion). Anyways, my Mom ordered me a subscription of "Creating Keepsakes" for Christmas and a few moths ago I read an article "100 Creativity Starters" by: Brittany Beattie and I thought she had some excellent ideas. I thought it would be fun to share a few of them with you. I thought some of these ideas were pretty neat! Some are great ideas to do with your kids even if you don't scrap book. It could be like a little craft you do together.

1. Pick three colors you love and create a page with them. Don't try to match them.

2. Pack your camera in your purse, then pay attention to the signs you see through out the day. Photograph your favorite and let it serve as your inspiration.

3. Let a song that you have listened to this week inspire you for a page topic.

4. What made you laugh this week? Scrapbook the story and why it made you chuckle.

5. Create a min album using the words from your favorite children's story, but replace the illustrations with your own photos.

6. Start your page with a favorite movie quote that your family recites often.

7. Include applicable scripture on your page lay out.

8. Take photos of your favorite object (or an object very special to you) journal why the object is your favorite, why it is special and any stories you have about it.

9. Create a page about how the weather makes you feel.

10. Record your favorite recipe and the story behind it.

11. Choose one color and create a lay out where every element (except your photo) is in that color family.

12. Do you have an older paper in your stash that you havn't used yet and aren't sure that you ever will? Trim it and see what types of border designs you can create with the smaller pieces.

13. Line the top and bottom of your page with small photos (like a border).

*14. Find a picture of your mother at the age that you are now and a current photo of you, them srapbook them, journaling about the differences in your lives at the same ages.Isn't that such a neat idea?

15. Cut several photos into letters to spell out your title.

16. Trim a landscape or still-life photo into three sections with a small space between to create a tiled effect.

17. Print a photo twice. Adhere the first photo to the page.Cut out your main subject on the 2nd photo, then adhere it to the first photo giving it a dimensional look to bring more attention to the main subject.

18. Cut multiple photos in various shapes to build a larger shape. (for example cut squares, rectangles and a triangle to form a house.)

These were some of my favorites. I hope you liked them too, even if you are not a scrapbooker:)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Mercy! Those ideas are for extra pictures for extra scrapping! I haven't scrapped since that summer at Grammy's. Imagine how behind I am! I can't imagine finding more things to take pictures of to scrap! lol! Have fun. I'm glad you're able to have everything more consolidated and easier for it!

Mary said...

Those are some good ideas. But I'm with Julie, since I've rarely scrapbooked, I need to get the basic events of my life recorded first :). But some of those would be fun to do with kids. Maybe when Matthew is a little older.