Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bye-Bye paci

Well, 1 day down with out the paci. Brian and I had made a plan to take the paci away from Emma for good since he was taking the week off for Thanksgiving so that #1 he could help me be strong and not cave and #2 help with evening shifts in case she woke up a lot.

Brian actually hid the cup of paci's from Emma and Momma, ha! I guess I should back up. Emma only uses her paci at bed times, and it has been that way for the past year or more really. When she wakes up, she puts her paci in the cup on her bookshelf. When she began doing this we just praised her and said "good girl" and it has never been an issue.

Well today, she was very confused when we went in there for nap time. She looked and the cup was gone. You could tell she was a little bewildered. We lied her down and walked away. She kinda whined and I just stood at the cracked door to watch her. She stood up and started looking at her bookshelf, like she was trying to figure out where her cup of paci's went. She of course cried some, and we both took turns going in to comfort her and rocked her, and it really didn't take her long to go to sleep with out it, 15 minutes maybe 30 at most. Tonight it took a little longer, but she did great all in all.

I think this is harder for me then her really, It sounds so silly but I am kind of emotional about it. Well for one, it is just another reminder that she is turning into a big girl, and not a baby anymore. But two, as a mommy I feel sorry for her, watching her go through something that is really hard for her. Yes, I realize it is such a small thing in the scheme of the "big picture". But, I guess it is that mommy nature in me that it makes me sad to see her sad.

It forces me to realize she is going to have LOTS more and WAY HUGER challenges in her future to come and through each of those, this mommy's heart will break with her and for her as I watch her walk through them. But then I see it as a beautiful opportunity to teach her the strength, the help, and the comfort that our Savior brings to us in difficult times. It also pushes me to pray more for her. Like tonight I just feel the need to pray, not out of desperation, like "Lord Please help her sleep!" But just asking the Lord to help her and comfort her."Oh the joys and the heartaches of being a momma!

No comments: