I am currently reading " Choosing Gratitude" by Nancy Leigh Demoss. This was a book on my goal list to read in order to challenge myself just to be more grateful, and all ready after the small amount that I have all ready read, I feel convicted and ashamed by how much I complain! My prayer through this book is that God will change me inside-out, challenge me and convict me.
Nancy listed her definition of Gratitude as "learning to recognize and express appreciation for the benefits we have received from God from others.
Recognize-what we receive each day. The eyes of our heart must be open and alert. This means constantly being on the look out for blessings, making each day a treasure hunt.
Express appreciation-means what is in our hearts must come out! It is being intentional about thanking God and others for the blessing s that come our way.
This book challenges to write down 5 things we are thankful for that day, during the 30 day study. My goal is to be very specific and not just write down "generic" things." This is something I plan to put a lot of thought into and really want to focus on the small things in the day that I should be thankful for instead of complaining that we are out butter, or that Brian didn't pick up his clothes from the floor. I hope to share my 5 things each day, but we will see how that goes, since blogging, can be (at times) some what time consuming.
Day 1
1. I am thankful our dishwasher started working after we thought it was broken last night.
2. I am thankful my husband has a job, a good job, that he enjoys, excels at, and provides for our family's needs.
3. I am thankful for conviction and that God continues to convict me because if He didn't I wouldn't grow.
4. I am thankful for all the 2T clothing and nice shoes my prior boss, Sarah gave me a while back, that Emma is greatly enjoying now.
5. I am thankful for the beautiful home God has provided for us to live in.
Each day I have the choice to either whine or worship (give thanks).
When we choose to worship, ESPECIALLY in the midst of difficult circumstances, there is a fragrance and radiance that issues forth out of our lives. If we choose to give in to whining, murmuring and complaining, we end up on a destructive slide that leads us to bitterness and broken relationships.
Day 2:
1. I am thankful for the 10 years God has given to Brian and I. The Valentines banquet was our first date in 2002!
2. I am thankful for the greatest love gift ever given, Jesus Christ dying to pay for my sins.
3. I am thankful that Emma is developing normally physically and mentally, in spite of my lack of training her, she is learning in leaps and bounds.
4. I am thankful the yummy valentine cupcakes I found on sale. I have been eying the pretty things for weeks but didn't want to fork out the $5.99 for them!
5. I am thankful that Emma is old enough to start communicating some of her needs. While I was sitting on the couch, she said, "up" I patted the couch next to me and said, "ok, you want to come up and sit by mommy?" She said, with raised arms, "no mommy" like, no I want to sit on my mommy's lap and be held in her arms. Her need at that moment was physical touch and I was happy I was able to fill that need for her.
1 comment:
This sounds like a really good book. She's a great author. Maybe when I get back into reading this will be one that I get to.
Post a Comment