Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Ladies Retreat

If I had so sum of this weekend in one word I would honestly say it was Amazing. This weekend was our ladies Retreat. The theme was, “The Amazing Race." The laughter has been great, the amount of sleep has been little, and my cup has been filled.

On Thursday night my sweet friend Julie and her husband arrived. We talked a while and ate some chocolate chip cookies. The next morning, we ate breakfast together and Michael left so that us girls could spend the day together. We talked, looked at pictures, talked some more, and then we went on a picnic at the park. We had sandwiches, chips, cookies, and water. We sat down on a blanket in front of the water while we ate our lunch, and talked a whole lot more. Then we went on the swings and talked some more. We went home, talked some more and then got ready for the retreat. We had such a perfect day together. It is so refreshing to spend a day with a good friend, where we can talk about the things of the Lord together.
We arrived at Camp Chataugua around 5:00pm. We got settled into our cabin, fellowshipped a bit and then had dinner. The food all was weekend was great! Then we had our first service. Mrs. Andrews lead us in praise and worship. She did a tremendous job. The series of messages for the weekend were 5 words: Faith, Forgiveness, Freedom, Finish, and Focus. The passage of scripture she used was Hebrews 12:1-4. Mrs. Appleby spoke on Amazing Faith the first lesson. She asked to write one thing on an index card for each word that spoke to us. Here is what I wrote for Faith. “The days that we enjoy the race the most are the days we exercise our faith.” It was really good, all the lessons were really. But, there was something that Julie and I had just talked about that day that Mrs. Appleby talked about it in her lesson. Julie and I just looked at each other and smiled. It was just so neat to me. God is so cool you know?
After the service we went bowling. Cathy and I were in competition. She of course beat the living day lights out of me but it was fun anyways.

We met at 11:00 for a time of testimonies. Then we were free to party for the rest of the night. Julie and I met some ladies from another church and we ended up playing games with them until 1:30/2:00 in the morning. We LAUGHED A LOT! We just had such a great time. And though we did not know these ladies it was like we bonded…….and I believe it is because we have the common bond of being sisters in Christ.
Funniest moments were while we were playing Guesstures: Deb being a beaver, the older lady (Avon, I think) being a belly dancer and another girl did an impersonation of a hostage. If you weren’t there….lets just say…you missed it! Wow….lots and lots of laughter! Laughter sure does make the heart merry!









Every one loved Julie…I am not surprised. She is so funny and likeable. I was proud to say that she was with me. I thought it was neat when one girl asked how long we have been friends and we told her our “pen pal” story. She was surprised we have only known each other for a short time because she said when one of us would start some joke the other would finish. Julie says it is because she thinks we are the same person sometimes. Ha! Well, when we got back to the cabin I was telling Julie that I thought it was cool that, that girl said that and she agreed. Then I said, “We go together like peanut butter and jelly.” She said, “I was about to say the same thing, but I didn’t.” I thought it was funny but maybe I found it funny because it was close to 2 am at that time.

I finally fell asleep sometime after 2:30 AM. It was a short night sleep since I woke up around 6:30 AM. The beds were not the most comfortable either. Our morning started off with breakfast. It was yummy!
Cathy and I after very little sleep!

Next, Mrs. Andrews spoke to us on Forgiveness. It was great! I can not just choose one thing to share on this lesson so will share three. 1. When we have unforgiveness in our hearts we will be an unfit vessel. 2. You are only responsible for you! It doesn’t matter if the other person is wrong too and do not apologize. They can continue to wear the chains of bondage that comes from not forgiving but at least you are free from that bondage. 3. It is necessary to forgive because we have been given Amazing Forgiveness. Amen! Thank you Lord!

After that, we had our break-off sessions. Mrs. Gayla introduced the three of speakers and then separated. I had probably about 25 that came to my lesson. I was nervous at first but once I got going I felt a lot better. My lesson was almost exactly to the time allotted 45 minutes. I could hardly believe how fast the time went by. So many women came to me and said I did a great job, that I encouraged them, gave me hugs, and so on. That really encouraged me. I am so thankful for such wonderful women at our church. They are so supportive and kind. In fact, Julie mentioned to me several times through out the day that the ladies at my church were so wonderful, and so nice, and she was just very impressed with them. They truly are amazing. I am so thankful that I have so many Godly women to look up to. It is just such a blessing. The break off speakers: Vicki Carter, Kelly Graham, and I with our pastor’s wife Gayla.










We ate lunch and after lunch we played a really fun purse game. Deb and I were the team captains. The lady up front named things that someone had to find in their purse and the captains had to run to get it and race it up front. It was hysterical!

Then Mrs. Appleby finished up with the last two sessions. Amazing Freedom was the first of the two. What spoke to me the most about this session was when she talked about the passage in Hebrews 12 where it tells us the sin which so easily besets us. She brought out that we each have a signature sin that we struggle with and we allow it to beset us in our race. But the Scripture tells us to lay it aside! Then she finished with Amazing Finish and Amazing Focus. She talked about the passage that Jesus washed the disciples feet and she passed out a towel to each one of us. She told us: 1. Jesus took the towel that no one else would. 2. Jesus took the towel that no one else could.3. Jesus took the towel when no one else knew.

To conclude she challenged us to run this race looking forward, not to the side, not down, and not behind, but looking forward, unto Jesus. My cup was filled to say the least.
The pastor's wife, Gayla and I

All weekend, I was hoping to win a door prize. You know me, I love free! Finally at the very end My ticket was called! When they called my number I yelled, "Thats me!" I was so excited. I got a "Women at the Well" bag (which is the name of Patty's ministry). I was very excited because I was going to buy one before I left. I went home and told Brian, "Now if I go on a mission trip with her, I have a bag and a shirt!" I know little things amuse me. We truly had a good time. When we arrived back to my house, we found the boys comfy and relaxed watching sports. We started talking a mile a minute and were laughing almost to the point of tears. I think they probably thought we were just nuts! You know how women are after very little sleep. It truly was an amazing weekend. I was so sad to see it end.

Hebrews 12:1-4, "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds like it was a great weekend and that you had a fabulous time. It's nice that your friend got to come and spend time with you for a few days.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I've been waiting for this post! I'm so glad your weekend went so well! I'll look forward to hearing more about your lesson! Can't wait for our girl weekend coming up in May!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I've been waiting for this post! I'm so glad your weekend went so well! I'll look forward to hearing more about your lesson! Can't wait for our girl weekend coming up in May!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I've been waiting for this post! I'm so glad your weekend went so well! I'll look forward to hearing more about your lesson! Can't wait for our girl weekend coming up in May!

Anonymous said...

oopsie! . . .