Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

Breaking Free

Isaiah 57:14 "And it shall be said build up, build up, prepare the way, remove every obstacle out of the way of my people."

I just finished a book by Beth Moore called "Breaking Free". It was really good. I actually used it as an addition to my quiet time each morning. It was about allowing nothing to hinder our walk and to surrender every area of our lives so that we may live free from bondage. She had a section of 5 obstacles that often hinder our walks.
1. Unbelief2. Pride 3. Idolatry 4. praylessness and 5. Legalism.
Isn't this so true? Under legalism she listed three points that I thought were sooo good.
Legalism happens when
1.
Regulations replace relationships!
2. Microscopes replace mirrors!
3. performance replace passion!

But here is what touched me the most. She had a chapter on service. She had me ponder the thought of what we should do when we as individuals are asked to do a service or a ministry.
1. Is my most consideration whether or not God will be glorified in this?
In 1 Corinthians 10:31 it says everything we do should glorify God.
2. Do I desire God's glory or my own?
This one especially convicted me. John 8:54 says that "If I glorify myself my glory is nothing, it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, he is our God."
3. In my service to others, is my sincere hope that they will somehow see God in me?
1 Peter 4:10-11, "As each one has received a special gift employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever speaks, let him speak, as i it were the utterances of God; Whoever serves, let him do as the strength which God supplues, so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ." Is that not a great a scripture?!
4. Am I accomplishing things only through the power of God?
In other words, am I depending on my own strength to be of service or am I depending upon God's power?

Whew! This lesson sure did something to me. I got up not wanting to leave my quiet time that morning and also left very deeply touched and convicted. I know many times I have been asked to do something and I have done it out of obligation or I have done it merely to draw attention to my own self. I have also done things many times only to see them fall apart because I was focusing on my own abilities to carry them out rather than depending on God's awesome power.
I can not even count how many times I have agreed to do something with out consulting God or my husband. What I am taking from this is every time I am asked to do any type of service or ministry to first really seek the Lord in prayer and search my heart to find is it something I want to do to bring glory to myself or is it something that will bring glory to Him. Second, before agreeing to do anything ever again I hope to seek advice from my spiritual leader, Brian. There has been more than once where I have asked his advice and he advised against it, yet I did not take his advice. In the end.... I wind up wishing I would have. God gave me Brian's wisdom for a reason, shame on me for not always giving it more thought.
I was so excited that God showed me this and know it will forever impact my service for Him.

1 comment:

Steve and Eden said...

I love Beth Moore studies! God has given her great insight!