My favorite book of the Bible is James. There are so many treasures found in this small book but I am just going to point out a few, that especially speak to me.
1. As a teenager my life verse was James 1:2-3 "My Brethren count it all JOY when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this that the trying of your faith worketh patience."
Did you read that? We are are supposed to consider it a joy when something goes wrong? Yep, that's right we are, because God uses those times of suffering to increase our faith and to grow us!
2. Chapter 3 in James is all about the tongue and boy is it powerful! It convicts me every time I read it and shows me how greatly I need to work on my speech! In this chapter it talks about how humans control horses but putting a small bit in their mouths and ships are controlled with a small helm. Same is true with our tongues, it is one of the smallest parts of the body, but it controls our whole body. Our tongue can do a WHOLE LOT of damage or good.
It also tells us in this chapter that every type of beast, birds, serpents, and things of the sea have been tamed by man kind but in verse 8 it says, "the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison."
In verse 10 it says: "Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren these things ought not to be!" In the following verses it asks us if a fountain can produce both sweet water and bitter water? No. So our mouths shouldn't bespeaking bad things with good things either!
3. Then in chapters 4 and 5 the focus is on prayer and there are so many verses in these chapters that speak to me personally. But I will try to chose my favorites. First it starts off by telling us the reasons for unanswered prayer. One, it says we have not because we ask not. Simple enough right? And it is very true right? Second, we have not, because we ask selfishly. Prayer needs to be sincere, and it reflects the condition of our hearts.
Finally, boy do I LOVE the end of chapter 5. It is like the grand finale at the 4th of July fireworks. In verse 13 it asks us "do you know anyone that is sick?" Then Pray for them! Do you know someone who is merry (joyful) then sing and rejoice with them! If you know someone that is sick take him to the elders of your church and pray over them.
In verse 15 it tells us that a prayer of faith can heal the sick. Verse 16 says "Confess your faults one to another, and pray for one another that ye may be healed. The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much!"
Then it tells us how Elijah, who was a regular man, just like you and I are, prayed earnestly for rain and guess what it RAINED! Oh the power in prayer, if we just do it, and do it faithfully!
In conclusion this book challenges me most in these three ways:
1. To be joyful through the hardest trials of my life!
2. To control my mean and nasty tongue
3. To Pray, pray, pray!
What is your favorite book or verse in the Bible?
1 comment:
Not sure if I have a fav book of the Bible. My fav verse is Luke 1:37 "For with God nothing shall be impossible." I claimed it when I was praying for my dad to get saved for many years.
So I'm waiting for your post on your favorite season. Of course we all know what it is ;)
Post a Comment