Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Meet Ivy

God is so good! Let me share a story with you.
My Junior year of college, I had a roommate named Amanda. She was a very, very sweet freshman girl from Ohio. Shortly into the semester, she was concerned about something so her parents came up to take her to a Dr. The Dr found she had several tumors in her uterus. Obviously, we were all very sad and concerned for her. We called a big prayer meeting with all the girls in the dorm, I fasted for her, we were all begging God for a miracle that God would spare her uterus, and that the tumors would not be cancerous!

They found the tumors were fibroid, praise the Lord and she went into surgery to remove them (while she was in Tennessee). The Dr there actually suggested and encouraged doing a full hysterectomy, because she said the tumors would just keep growing back. But they decided to not go that route. She went home after the surgery. However, since she had a boyfriend that was still attending at Temple, and my boyfriend, (soon to fiance'/husband) was living in Ohio, close to where Amanda lived, I had the opportunity to hitch a few rides up north to see her and to see my man as well :)

After that year we lost touch, for the most part. Then last summer, (shortly after moving into our new home), our town was doing their community garage sales so Brian and I decided to go. A few streets down from our house I bumped into Amanda's mom. She told me she lived next door. Huh, what a small world I thought. She also told me Amanda was married and expecting! And she happened to be visiting that day, so she had her come out and I got to see her and meet her wonderful husband.

I ran into Amanda's parents again at Babies-R-Us last winter. They were buying for their grandbaby and we were buying for our soon to be, new addition! Then a couple months ago, I ran into them again at Kroger. I told them I was a stay at home mom now, and since we were so close, if they ever needed any help with Ivy to just stop by. I didn't think they would ever take me up on that but about a month ago, I received a letter in my mailbox from Amanda.

She is getting a stay at home job, but has to go through training first and asked if I would help keep Ivy a couple days a week for just a couple months. She said I was one of the very few she would actually trust with her baby. I felt honored!Not only did I feel honored, but I was excited about being able to help a friend out too. She was so thankful when I told her I would do it. But, it was especially cool because Brian and I had just discussed the week before that for now, I was gonna need to earn a little extra money babysitting until we could get rid of a few other bills. We are doing everything possible to make it so I can stay at home with Emma. So we are working hard at being frugal and cutting back on many things. The night before I got her card I was telling my SIL that I was looking to maybe babysit, and that I really hoped it would be someone's baby that I care about, because there is more of a bond there. I was shocked when I got the letter the next day. Not only is God good to answer my prayer like that, but I look at this sweet baby and see that she is truly a miracle! They told Amanda that she would probably never be able to have children. And here is this sweet, adorable little girl!

I am so thankful to have the opportunity to watch this sweet little girl!

2 comments:

Desiree said...

How awesome!!! I'm so happy for Amanda! I remember when all that happened.

Jeremy and Shelly said...

That is so sweet!! It IS amazing how God can do that! I'm racking my brain trying to remember who Amanda was. That must have been the year I stayed in GA.