Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Homemaking is an art

Homemaking really is an art you know. Just like learning to play an instrument, the more you practice the better you get. For a while now I have wanted to get on a 40 dollar grocery limit. I read blogs by people who do it all the time. But, I have not yet mastered the grocery system. It seems like I always spend between $65-$75. This week my BF suggested I go to Kroger because 1. they had a mix and match deal. You buy 10 different selected items and it takes off .50 cents per item, which is $5.00 at the end of your bill. 2. they accept double coupons this week. On top of that, as usual you can get their sale items, and you also save more money if you have a Kroger card.

Before I left I made my menu for the week. I have never done this before. I have always been too unmotivated to do it. But money Savings Mom had printable worksheets that could be printed off for free so I thought I would try it. Click here if interested:
http://momadvice.com/resources/downloads.aspx
Plus, I have often read that making a menu and sticking with it really cuts down your grocery bill, because you only buy what you need and it is not as easily wasted. So we'll see if I am disciplined enough to stick with it.

After that I spent another good hour, making my grocery list, searching through my coupons, and studying the add of how I could save the most money. I am feeling mighty proud of myself because I got out with only spending $44.43! Yay!

In the picture below is what I got. Some of my best deals were:
Life Cereal for .99 each (regular 3.43)
Sour Cream .49 (regular $2.49)
Cookies for $1.00 (regular $2.66)
Oatmeal free after sale and coupons (regular 3.59)
Nutri-grain bars for $1.67 each (regular 3.59)
Hot dogs b1g1 free ($3.19 value)
Chicken breasts $3.29 (regular ($9.28)
Coffee Creamer 1.49 (regular $3.49)
I basically got a block of cheese for free 3 for $5.00 (regular $2.79)
2 packs of ham for $2.00 each (regular 3.59)
2 packs of pizza $2.49 each(regular$4.40)
There were only 2 items that I saved nothing on: milk and baby carrots

If you can believe it the end of my receipt says this:
1. I saved $14.80 in manufacture coupons
2. $2.65 in bonus coupons (this is where Kroger matches your coupons up to a dollar)
3. $24.70 in the Kroger Sales
With a total savings of $42.15!

5 comments:

Julie said...

You did awesome! Great job! Oh, and you mentioned that they dbl coupons this week; however, check with your Kroger store, but they generally double all year round, at least around here. I'm pretty sure that's a Kroger policy. Anyhow, awesome job!!!

Grateful Grammy said...

You did really well. It's a little more tricky when you have more than two people. I still feel good saving money even if my bill is not anywhere near $50. :)
Happy shopping!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I love shopping at Kroger. I never go anywhere else for groceries. Ours always doubles coupons up to .50 & everything above goes to $1.00. It's awesome. Yours is much better but my last trip was $144.00 after $69.58 in coupons & Kroger plus savings. We only go once a month so I figure for the 3 of us that's not too terrible.

-Kelly

Desiree said...

Oooohhhh... I so have to try this! Thanks for a new challenge! :)

Christi said...

Wow!! I'm impressed. I've been trying to do better with coupons and such. But I still don't have enough time to do it 100%. Hopefully someday...