Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

On my nightstand


Right now I am reading this book, "Finding God's path through your Trials" by Elizabeth George. I received it for my Birthday last year. I have yet to find a book by Elizabeth George that hasn't greatly encouraged me. Her books are all so good and challenge me in my walk with the Lord.

Nobody likes trials. If we had it our way, I am sure we would all say that life would be so much better and easier with out those bumps in the road. But listen what God says about our trials.

In James 1:2-3 it says, My brethren, count it all joy, when ye fall into diverse temptations: knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

1 Peter 4:12-13 says, "Beloved. think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you as though some strange thing has happened unto you. But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."

Did I read that right? We are supposed to rejoice and be joyful when bad things happen to us? Yep, that's right. God is sovereign. He has a perfect plan for each of us and has a purpose for each trial that we face. However, it is completely our choice how we will respond and react to those trials. This book has encouraged me and reminded me that we ought to be JOYFUL even during the worst circumstances. I pray that it can be said of me, that in my next trial I will choose to be joyful.

2 comments:

Desiree said...

I love Elizabeth George. I've never heard of this one. I may have to go get it! Love ya!

Mary said...

I've got a couple Elizabeth George books, and I like her too. I might have to borrow this one from you--it sounds really good :)