Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Our Relentless Pursuer

I have recently gotten back into my reading kick. I am reading the Glenbroke series by Robin Jones Gunn for the 2nd time. Yesterday I finished book 5 "Clouds" which is my favorite of this series. I love how I feel after finishing a good book, you know that warm and fuzzy feeling?

In the back Robin wrote a note to her readers and it really touched me. She wrote about how she had written this book during fall time, and how a leaf she collected at one time reminded her of sweet, adventure-filled days, but later it crumbled into dust. She thought of those leaves as she wrote this story as the character Shelly confronted her "spiritual struggles. Then she writes:
"I thought of Adam and Eve and how they stitched together thick green leaves in attempt to cover themselves in Gods Prescence. I thought of how quickly the once-green leaves must have shriveled, proving themselves inadequate for the task. Just like Adam and Eve, I am learning that we can never cover up or hide anything from God. He's right there. Always. He's relentless in His pursuit of us. Everywhere we go, He's already waiting for us. We are His first love and He's not about to give up. This kind of love is beyond my understanding. It's vast and unchanging. It's quiet and intimate. It's demanding and precise. It's God. Oh, that we might come out of hiding, put aside all our inadequate leaves and surrender to His love!"

This really touched me yesterday. I can't hide from God. He knows my every sin, every mistake, each failure, and everything dirty about me that I would never admit or speak out loud to anyone else. Yet He loves me and never stops pursuing me.

Sure a sweater, a fuzzy blanket and hot tea may warm us on a fall, chilly day, but the thought of His relentless pursuing of me, warms me like nothing else. I hope the reminder of His love and relentless pursuing of you brings a little warmth to your day as well.

3 comments:

martha said...

Hi Janelle! CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!! I'm so happy & excited for you guys!
I've really enjoyed reading through your postings. Fall is definitely my season, too. And I really loved your recent post about God being our Relentless Pursuer- talk about finding comfort when you need it!
Ethan is standing here and he says hello. He keeps asking me if he can start blogging :-) He's really interested in writing and story telling and has a really great imagination.
The boys are both doing well and getting used to their new environment and schools.
I come to Cincinnati about every 6 weeks or so, so I'll have to keep you posted when I plan my next visit. I'd love to meet up for lunch or something. Are you still nannying for that family? Will you continue to do that after your new arrival?
Again, I'm so happy for you guys! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and that we've reconnected! I hope you're doing and feeling really well. Hopefully we'll get together this fall sometime!
Take care! We miss you!
~Martha, Ethan & Preston

Mary said...

This was encouraging. Thanx for sharing, Janelle!

Jeremy and Shelly said...

Clouds is one of my favorite books in that series as well. Thank you for sharing Janelle.