Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

My view on Halloween

I grew up my entire life celebrating Halloween. To our family it was just a fun day to dress up in costumes and get some yummy candy. Brian grew up without celebrating Halloween, and while we were engaged he shared with me that he felt strongly about not celebrating Halloween with our children. At that point I was indifferent about it, but I chose to respect his decision because I believed he had a higher standard then me. Since then, God has completely changed my heart about this holiday and I have been convicted about celebrating the traditions of Halloween. Here are the reasons why I don't celebrate Halloween and what some of the rituals mean.

1. Where it originated: It started with the Celts In Ireland. They celebrated their new year on November 1, which marked the end of summer and the harvest. It also marked the beginning of winter, which the Celts associated with death. They believed that on the night before the new year, October 31, the distinction between the worlds of the living and the dead were at their weakest. This was the night they celebrated Samhain when they believed the ghosts of the dead returned to earth to cause trouble.

2. Dressing up in costumes: originated from the Celts when they lit huge bonfires and celebrated Samhain by dressing up to disguise themselves as spirits and demons so that they could disguise themselves from real ones.

3. Trick or Treat: Started in Ireland when the Celts would go to each house in order to collect food that would then be offered up to the Gods. Children often asked for wood and kindling as well, which would be used in the Samhain bonfires.Good luck was promised to generous donors, and curses were made against those who would not give."

4. Carving pumpkins (Jack-o-lanterns): originated in 18th century with the Celts as an Irish folklore. In the tale, a man named Jack had trapped the devil in a tree. When he died, Jack was denied entrance into Hell due to his deal with the devil. Because the Celts were afraid of the evil spirits, who they believed came out that night, they would carve scary faces in their ember holders in the hopes of frightening the spirits away.

5. The black cat: The Celts believed that, on the night before the new year, the spirits of their friends and family were more likely to return to the earth. However, these spirits would not take on a human form but instead their souls would enter into an animal, most commonly a black cat.

6. Witches: On Halloween today, witches celebrate "Feast of Samhain." It is the first feast of the witchcraft year. Being a festival of the dead, Halloween is a time when witches attempt to communicate with the dead through various forms of divination and by offering sacrifices (animals and humans: often times children!) Halloween is the biggest day of the year to communicate with the devil.
I feel most passionately about this one. Do you know that it is reported that more children come up missing at this time more than any other time of the year? For this alone I want my children no where in reach of witches. Something interesting I read online however from a prior witch that got saved was they never sacrificed Christians because they believed that would give glory to God and not Satan. I am not sure if that is every witches practice or not but it was hers. Regardless, witches and witchcraft is real, very real and Halloween is their time of year!

7. owls and bats: Large bonfires would encourage a large amount of mosquito's to gather, causing owls and bats to come out. They were both commonly seen around Samhain bonfires. Because they only fly around at night they have been believed to be an omen of evil.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI, Christmas and also Easter at their roots are both pagan holidays, and many of the traditions you associate w/them are also exceedingly pagan at their roots.

I think it comes down to what you make it to be for your own family. We can't be afraid of the roots of something, or we deny the power of Christ over evil in our lives (to a certain extent). However, I have many friends who forego one holiday or another for those reasons. I have more to say but I don't, and I completely respect yours and Brian's decision. I've struggled w/this myself. Love and miss you lots... :)

Janelle said...

Hey thanks for the input. I like feedback weather you agree or disagree. And I sent and email replying to your comment as well. For Brian and I the biggest thing is we can find something that honors God in Christmas and Easter but we can't find anything about Halloween that honors God. That of course is our conviction and know that not everyone has the same conviction and that's okay. It is not our job's to be anyone's Holy Spirit. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts of why I choose not to participate. Love ya much!

Anonymous said...

We've had many conversations with friends about this as well. While there are certainly negatives we know there will be many, many questions when the kids are old enough to want to be like the other kids. We typically skip it completely and will probably go back to that next year. We certainly don't want to leave the door open for Satan to enter. You can make it what you want...it doesn't have to be about all these things but about celebrating the fall season.

I'm proud that you have made up your own mind about it rather than following tradition or what society does. Once you have children you will question everything. Although most holidays have Pagan roots it is possible to celebrate any/all of them to glorify God.

Mary said...

Hey Janelle, thanx for putting up such a controversial post. I'm kinda similar to you, in that Josh didn't want our family to celebrate it, and I just went along, but I didn't completely agree with him. But after hearing preaching on it and stuff, I'm with him %100. I know some people argue that Christmas and Easter have pagan roots, but Halloween is more than just pagan. It really is Satan's holiday, and Josh and I don't want to associate or participate in it in any way. And I don't think my kids will miss out on anything great anyway. We save money on buying candy and costumes, so that's a plus :)

Janelle said...

I really debated putting this blog up. But Brian told me to make it personal of why I choose not to celebrate. That is what I tried to do. Still I debated because it is so controversial but, then I felt confirmed about it after church on Saturday night when I was reminded the name of Jesus alone is offensive, does that mean I am going to stop talking about Him? Of course not. And like you said, as well as others have said there are some pagan roots to Easter and Christmas and I am aware of that. But the fact that witches are so real (another confirmation in revival) and they are practicing their witchcraft more that day than any other day of the year...That makes me want to have no part in it. Brian says he doesn't feel like he missed out and I don't think my children will feel that way either if we handle it properly and it is well explained to them. And it saves money too, you are right about that too! Thank you for your feedback.