Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Are you facing a Giant?

It is nap time......ah...quiet! This week Ally is home all day and I have learned having both girls all day is way more work ! I have a long week because I don't get my normal day or 1/2 day off this Wednesday. I am here 7:45 AM to 6pm. A full 50 hour week. Whew! When they are both here all day I feel like I am just a referee.

"I had it first"

"No I had it first"

Then you hear a sudden burst of crying and screaming.

" Ally pinched me!"

"No I didn't!"

If you are around many little ones, I am sure you can relate. So, I am immensely enjoying the quiet and decided I was going to do something to just relax...blog!

If you know Janelle you know my favorite movie is...............yep you guessed right, "Ever After." I am not exaggerating when I say I have probably watched that movie at least 100 times now. However, there is a movie that is in the running for first place, or maybe it will have to be a close tie. Which movie is it, you ask? "Facing the Giants."

Brian asked me the other night, "What is it about this movie that you love so much?" I answered him: "Because it is applicable to every age that when you are faced with a giant, you can get through it with God's help, and behind that giant is a great VICTORY!"

A lot of people around me are going through some great trials, some directly effect me and others my heart just breaks for them. I needed to be encouraged this weekend thus, I popped "Facing the Giants" in the DVD player.

I want to recall one scene for you, which is my favorite part in the movie.

The football team meets for practice. One player asked about the upcoming game on Friday night. The leader of the team calls out something in a defeated attitutude about it not mattering anyway because they were just gonna loose. The coach challenges him to do the death craw as a result of his negative attitude.

(player) What, you want me to go to the 30 yd line?

(coach) I think you can make it to the 50 but just promise me, no matter what, you will do your best, your very best.

(player) alright

(coach) you gonna give me your very best?

(player) yeah

(coach) okay you are gonna do it blindfolded.

(player) why?

(coach) so you don't give up when you reach a certain point.

The player begins the death crawl, with a 160 pound player on his back.

(player) It hurts, it hurts! It's too hard"

(coach) DON'T QUIT! Just do your best, come on, just do your best, you can do it. Give me your very best! DON'T QUIT"

All the way down the field this conversation repeats over and over. At a certain point all the other players begin to stand with a look of amazement on their faces.

(coach) JUST THREE MORE STEPS, JUST TWO MORE STEPS, JUST ONE MORE STEP!"

The player falls down, the coach removes the blindfold and he says, "Look up! Look at where you are, you are in the endzone!!!"

This part chokes me up every time because God never promised us that life would be easy. Life is hard sometimes, really hard! Sometimes life just hurts us desperately and we don't think we can go on another day. When faced with a giant we often times cave into a defeated attitude and are quick to give up. When I watch this scene it forces me to ask myself "How in the world can I reach a victory if I give up in defeat first?" Truth is, the hard stuff comes first, the work, the sweat, the preparation, and the losses. But God doesn't want us to give up! He is desiring to take us all the way to the finish line in order to give us a great VICTORY!

Think about David and Goliath. David was a little boy going against a huge Giant. What if he would have had the attitude of defeat?

Another thing that the movie teaches, that speaks to me is when the coach leads them to praise God in the wins and the losses. "If we win, we praise Him, if we loose we praise Him!" Isn't this so hard to do? I struggle with this, do you? Do you find it easy to praise Him when a loved one has been ripped from your life, or when you are up all night with a sick child, or when you find out your husband just lost his job? It is so easy to praise Him when we get a raise, or have been given a new car, and we should praise Him then. However, we also need to praise Him in the midst of our darkest hours. The team in the movie was blessed because of their attitude of praising God when they lost from going to the state championship, because the team they lost too were disqualified for cheating. I know it is just a movie, but doesn't scripture teach this? Always do right and God WILL BLESS YOU!

My other favorite part in the movie is when the coach was blessed with a new truck when he desperately needed it. I cry at this part because even though he is a fictional character I am so happy for him!! Seriously though, the reason the character feels real to me is because I feel as if I am literally that character. God has done so many awesome things, I call them "God Things" where I have had to step back and just can't help but to feel wowed while other people are talking around me, "You are blessed girl."

There are so many other things that I love about the movie such as the man that continually prayed for each of the students, oh the power in prayer! And how a revival can start with just a little fire, also how contagious and infectious our behavior is to those who are around us and many other things but I have made my point.

Are you facing a giant dear brother or dear sister in Christ? Be encouraged, do not be overcome with defeat. We know that if only we continue on and don't quit, straight ahead our trial will soon turn to great victory.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Good reminder, Janelle. I love this movie too. The first time I watched it I was sick, so I didn't really get the full meaning of it. But the second time I saw it I was well, so the full effect was there, and it was a really good movie.