Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

A few pregnancy blessings

Yesterday Brian was so thoughtful. He brought me home some flowers with a little balloon that says, "Welcome Baby." He just thought he would pick them up to brighten my day since I have been sick. It surely did brighten my day! I thought it was very sweet!
Last Saturday, Brian and I begin the registering process. I think we are doing it a little early but since we are not finding out the sex we didn't think it really mattered. I think most people tend to wait until they find out the sex so they know what to register for. We didn't register for a lot of everything yet either. I have been doing research on products and actually have added things by online little by little as I learn the difference between a good and bad product. We felt so clueless at first! We are like what kind of bottles should we get? Why does a baby need this? What is the difference between all these diaper pals and humidifiers?

My boss has been such a blessing to me giving me some good suggestions and tips. If you have any "must haves" and "musts not's" on products, please send them my way. My boss was also so thoughtful, one day she came home and gave me this book she bought for me. At first I thought it was just so sweet that she went out of her way to get me something but since I have been reading it I am just amazed about how helpful it is! It lists the top best stores, what to buy and not buy, how to prepare for a child the frugal way, it rates every baby maker's products A-F, it is full of phone numbers and websites for different companies, and much, much more!
Brian and I liked 2 different cribs 1 from Target and 1 form Babies-R-Us. After reading the chapter on cribs I learned the company that makes the crib that we liked from Target is known for having the most recalled beds than any other based on safety reasons and was rated F! Good to know! We are definitely not getting that crib! Most products that we have picked out thus far, I have been pleasantly surprised have been given a rating of A or B such as the glider, and the bedding we picked out. Anyhow, the book has been such a blessing for a new parent like me that has little knowledge on baby products.
Sarah, my boss also was so awesome to send me home with a container of cocoa butter. By the way Mom's, when am I supposed to start applying that stuff? Right away since I am already expanding or when I start getting itchy skin? Last night, Sarah sent me home with a trash bag of baby diapers that Henry has grown out of. I definitely appreciated that! She told me I could also have her bassinet and her 4 oz Avent bottles as well. All of these things will help so much!

Speaking of diapers, I am researching, debating, and strongly considering cloth diapers. If I choose to go that way, I will still use the disposable diapers that are given to me and use those for times that we are out, or when we leave the baby at the nursery. I don't know any one around here that uses cloth diapers so it's hard to get some feedback but it is something I am reading about and researching.

Brian and I were very pleased about registering at Target. They gave us a full bag of baby supplies such as diapers, wipes, a shutterly gift card, a baby einstein dvd and coupons. It was really cool I thought. However Babies-R-Us had much more of a selection of things to choose from.

I bought my first baby book, one that came well recommended by some good friends, "Baby Wise". Are there any other must reads that you can suggest for me? Mary, I will definitely take you up on that offer to borrow some baby books, thank you!
Here is another pregnancy blessing, my first congratulation card from my sweet Aunt!
I am grateful for all these little blessings so far!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Yeah, I'll bring you my books tomorrow when we meet for lunch :)

Ooh, those flowers are so pretty--such a nice shade of pink.

There are so many things you can get for baby that it is easy to be overwhelmed. One thing I can think of off the top of my head is a diaper pail. I would suggest getting one that uses regular trash bags. It's more economical. Something like the diaper genie you'd have to keep buying specific bags to fill it. And I think after a while all diaper pails smell. There's no way to avoid that, no matter what the manufacturer says. That's my small input from a frugal point of view.

I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I could give you tips on, but I'll just wait for you to ask about something. I don't want to get swamped with opinions from all your friends who have babies. I'm here for you if you need anything--just ask!

Cocoa butter...I think I started using it right away. And especially since you're showing already I'd do it. I still got stretch marks, but I guess I could have gotten more if I didn't moisturize. This time around I haven't been as faithful in using it.

And yeah, I can't tell you anything about cloth diapers cause I never used them. Josh's mom did though, so she might be able to help you with some questions you have.

Christi said...

Pretty flowers!! :-)

I think it's great you are starting early with registering and doing lots of research. Brad was always the researcher for us. One thing we are really glad we registered for was the specific monitor that we have. It's Graco Angelcare - it ticks all night long and as long as it's ticking you know baby is breathing. Now I don't think I could sleep without the ticking!! :-) Here's a link (though I think they have a newer version now if you just search for angelcare):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3326906

As for cocoa butter - I never used it myself. I just applied my regular everyday lotion that I always used.

LOVED Baby Wise!! My mom got it for me a few weeks after Isabella was born. I only wish I'd had it before she was born. But we still got to apply most of the principals and it's a great book!!

You can ask me anything too - but I also don't wanna bombard you with "do this and don't do that" because a lot of it is personal preference anyway!! And what works for one baby might not work for another!! :-)